• 600 North Street, Baton Rouge, 70802
  • (225) 765-2301
  • Contact Us

I have an occupational license from my local city/parish office. Do I need a state contractor’s license?

An occupational license is NOT a contractor’s license. An occupational license only gives you or your company the authority to operate a business in that city/parish and it’s generally for local sales tax purposes.


A Louisiana state contractor’s license/registration is required if you contract, bid, or perform work where to total project value including labor and materials exceeds the  minimum threshold to hold a commercial license, residential license, mold remediation license, or an home improvement registration in the state of Louisiana. Information about each license or registration, the minimum threshold amounts, and the requirements for licensure please see our License Types and Information page at: https://lslbc.louisiana.gov/contractors/.

Translate »